You may be aware that Sage, the company that owns the BusinessVision product, is no longer actively developing it. It is staying current with Windows releases and payroll updates, and will continue to do so for years to come.
BVEssentials is a third-party product that works with BusinessVision. Although it started out as an add-on utility over a decade ago, it has grown into a fully functional suite that now basically replicates BusinessVision and improves the functionality dramatically. It now has all major modules covered:
- Inventory, Purchase Order, Purchase History, Production Orders
- Order Entry, Accounts Receivable, Customer
- Accounts Payable, General Ledger
BVEssentials offers incredible functionality; many important ones are noted on the BVTips page: https://ritabloem.com/bvessentials-tips. I have a number of clients that have been successfully using BVEssentials for several years.
In addition, BVE has some unique modules to increase productivity:
- Included modules: Requisitions (for controlling inventory), Communications (uses notes to create reminders), Price Matrix (for setting customer pricing)
- Add on modules: Production Manager (for manufacturing), Service Manager (for vehicle servicing) and Rental Manager (for recurring billings).
There are over 1,000 companies using BVEssentials across Canada, so it already has a significant install base.
Currently, BVEssentials runs in tandem with BusinessVision, and uses BV`s Pervasive database as well as a `Mongo` database that enables fast searching. However, in late 2014, the same software will be released using an SQL database and will be called `Spire`. Any users of BVEssentials will get a free upgrade to Spire. There will be a seamless migration routine of the Pervasive data to the new SQL database.
There are a number of reasons why it might be advantageous to adopt BVEssentials before Spire is available:
- Pricing. As an example, a 5 user BVEssentials license costs $4,100. Spire pricing will be approximately the same as a new BV license, which is currently $6,800. Companies who purchase BVE before December 31, 2014 are guaranteed the lower price. Note that BVEssentials pricing includes a base price and a per user cost. Any number of users can be added, so licenses are only needed for the maximum number of people who log in at any one time.
- Training. Because BVEssentials and BusinessVision share the same Pervasive database, functions can be accomplished in either software, with the exception of Order Entry (which must be in BVEssentials) In addition, modules in BVEssentials can be turned on one at a time, so the implementation can be over several weeks or months as required.
- Experience. The sooner a company implements BVEssentials, the sooner they will be able to benefit from the improved functionality!
Minimum System Requirements for BVEssentials
- Windows 64-bit server or a 64-bit computer on the network that acts as a data server. 4 GB RAM minimum but 8 GB preferred; AMD Athlon 64 or Intel P4 CPU (Dual core preferred)
- Windows 7 or 8; 2 GB of RAM
- Monitor capable of 1024 X 768 resolution (higher is preferred)
- BusinessVision 2011, 2013 or 2014 required! (BV not required for Spire)
Further information is available at http://www.bvessentials.com/. Note there is a complete video manual on-line by clicking on Support and Video Manual.
If you are interested in adopting BVEssentials, please contact me at email@example.com for pricing and for a demo.